A wholesome alternative to processed sugar and chemically-derived artificial sweeteners, Stevia is becoming more and more popular among health-conscious individuals. It’s 20 to 30 times sweeter than sugar cane, yet is non-caloric and doesn’t promote tooth decay!
Stevia is easy to use, too. Just drop a leaf into hot or cold drinks, or use it like a bay leaf to sweeten meat and vegetables dishes while they cook — it’s heat-stable! Grind the dried leaves and sprinkle them into cereals and other cold dishes as you would sugar. You can even extract the oil!
The plant is a tender perennial for sowing indoors in a brightly-lit spot. It needs well-drained soil and very little else to grow vigorously, sporting small white flowers in summer. Plant reaches 1 foot tall and about 1 1/2 feet wide.
- The leaves of this ornamental plant are 30 times sweeter than sugar
- It is a fantastic Sugar Substitute
- Correct name: Stevia rebaudiana
- The FDA has approved Stevia as a dietary supplement
- 25 seeds per pack diabetes